Max Bill trained as a silversmith at the Kunstgewerbeschule in Zurich from 1924 to 1927 and while there was influenced by trends in contemporary fine art such as Cubism and Dada. From 1927 to 1929 he studied art at the Dessau Bauhaus and fully embraced the school’s functionalist approach to design. Upon completion of his studies, Bill returned to Zurich and worked as a painter, architect and graphic designer. In the 1930s he became the leading exponent of Constructivism within the Swiss School of graphics, and during this period designed graphics for the Wohnbedarf store in Zurich. He established his own architectural practice in 1930 and, as a member of the Swiss Werkbund, designed the Neubiihl estate near Zurich in the Modern style (1930—1932). In 1931 Bill adopted Theo van Doesburg’s theory of “concrete art”, which argued that universality could only be achieved through clarity. From 1932 Bill also worked as a sculptor and became a member of various art organizations, including the Abstraction-Creation group in Paris, the Allianz (Association of Modern Swiss Artists), the CIAM (Congres International d’Architecture Moderne) and the UAM (Union des Artistes Modernes). In 1944 Bill turned his attention to industrial design. His aluminium wall clocks of 1957 manufactured by Junghans feature a polished aluminum housing, white aluminum dial, chromium plated pointer, mineral glass and a quartz clock battery-operated movement. We can’t think of a cooler wall clock to hang in any modern design aficionado’s offices than a Max Bill, can you? Buy it at GSelect.